Tuesday, May 5, 2009

How do I change my first name on my birth certificate?

I am a junior in high school and I have basically waited till now to do something. On my birth certificate it says Janie and it's supposed to be Jamie. The woman who was typing it or whatever out a N instead of a M. I live in WV, but I was born in TN. How do I go about changing my birth certificate? Everything else like S.S.Card is in Jamie and Driver's License and ACT scores..So could anyone help me?

How do I change my first name on my birth certificate?
I can't say for certain in the U.S., but in most countries I'm aware of it's not possible to change your birth certificate: sorry!





If the mis-spelling is a mistake, then you can potentially have a corrected birth certificate issued. Considering that you've had other government documents issued under your correctly-spelled name, this is a perfectly reasonable option... but again, not knowing the U.S. system, I don't know to whom you would apply.





Another option would be to change your name by deed poll. This isn't actually very difficult (I've done it), but it would require you to agree that your name was what it was mis-spelled as on your birth certificate and then say you've *changed* it, which is less than ideal. Probably not such a good idea.





Overall, I'd say the best plan is to ignore it - you've got other documents to prove your identity, and so you'll probably never or almost never be asked to produce your birth certificate - and not bother. I've never had to produce my birth certificate ever!
Reply:You can't change your actual birth certificate, even when you change your name. If someone changed their name they get a certificate to say that they have- otherwise official documents like your birth certificate can't be changed.

qigong

No comments:

Post a Comment