Thursday, April 15, 2010

How much does it cost for a first name change in TN?

Yea, so how much is it and how do i do it?

How much does it cost for a first name change in TN?
If you fill out the forms on your own, the cost is very low ($20 or so to file the petition). There are also services that will do it for you, but frankly I don't think they are worth the money.





The Web site below gives a good summary of the law on changing your name in Tennessee, but this is a commercial site and they are trying to get you to pay them to do it. As I said, I do NOT recommend such services. Still, reading the explanation is worth while. It is full of legal wording, so it may be tough reading, but give it a shot:


http://www.namechangelaw.com/states/tn/t...





Since I don't know what county you live in, I can't give you an exact address, but I suggest you call or write to the Office of the Clerk of the Court for the County Court where you are located. The number will be in the phone book under the address for the County Court. So, if you are in Shelby County, Knox County, Hamilton County, or whatever, it will be the Shelby County Court, the Hamilton County Court, etc.





The Clerk of the Court may have free forms for you to fill out. If they don't, you can buy a form (they'll tell you where to get one). Fill it out, take it to the Clerk's office, and submit it. It's not that hard.





I'm a lawyer, and I LOVE to collect legal fees. :-) But truthfully, you should not need a lawyer for something like this, at least if you have no criminal record. If you do have a felony in your background, then it might make sense to talk to a lawyer about handling this for you. Otherwise, you can do it yourself.





I wish you well.


No comments:

Post a Comment